Tomorrow is the Karin Diamond Stem Cell Donor Drive, which my friends, family friends, and family have put a tremendous amount of effort into organizing in my honor. Our hope is to expand the National Bone Marrow Registry with as many new people as possible so that anyone out there looking for a match has an increased chance of finding one. There will also be a bake sale and a raffle/silent auction. Plus, lots of great people and positive energy. If you cannot make it, you can always order a kit online and register that way. All the information about what it means to be a stem cell or bone marrow donor if called upon is on the registry's website.
Here are the event details once again:
Karin Diamond Stem Cell Donor Drive
Saturday, August 21, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Harwinton Firehouse, 158 Burlington Road (Route 4), Harwinton, CT
Hope to see/meet many of you tomorrow! I hope to be there for as long as I can. However, my immunity is low so I'll be instituting a "no hugs and kisses" policy. Fist pumping only.
If you are coming from afar and want to make a day out of it and do some exploring, here are some Litchfield County sight seeing suggestions (some of my favorite places from childhood - well, not the winery - as this is where I grew up):
- Great hikes, walking trails, kayaking/canoeing, biking: White Memorial Conservation Center
- Beautiful gardens, hiking and walking trails, historic home, bird watching. One of my favorite places in the world: Topsmead State Forest
- Connecticut Wine Trail. Tastings and such: Haight-Brown Vineyard
- Cambridge Brewhouse: Microbrewery in Torrington with great beers and a good menu
- Dos Amigos: Small, very casual Mexican joint in Torrington. Cheap eats and great chimichangas.
- Bachis: Fantastic Italian and nice outdoor patio to dine on (Torrington).
- Historic Litchfield Center (follow Route 118 from Harwinton): you can walk or picnic on the green or peruse the cute shops and enjoy a great meal at the many downtown restaurants.
- Peaches & Cream Ice Cream: Arguably the best ice cream spot in Connecticut (right up there with Simsbury's Tulmeadow Farm.) Craig and I both scooped ice cream here and it's actually where we first met circa 1998.