Thursday, October 15, 2009

Take It Day by Day

I've often quipped "I'm taking it day-by-day" when people have asked me how I am doing through all of this. It's not just a canned answer. It really is true. Maybe even more accurate is hour-by-hour.

I was feeling really great on Monday and Tuesday. This was unusual as traditionally those are my bad days after chemo (days 4 and 5 - Sun and Mon). This was also after the toughest round yet - this chemo round hit me hard and fast. I was a waste over last weekend, was very frustrated, even a bit angry, very achey, and spent a lot of time on the couch at my parents house and my own.

But I bounced back after the weekend and went to work in the office full days Monday and Tuesday. I was feeling so good Tuesday evening that I even had a delicious Long Trail Harvest beer with dinner. Then at about 8pm my throat started to swell and it was all downhill from there.

I woke up throughout the night Tuesday with bad sore and raw feelings in my throat and difficulty swallowing past my swollen glands. This is what I mean about living hour-to-hour. I wasn't too surprised as Craig had come down with a cold/sore throat virus a few days earlier but I thought I had somehow gotten away without catching it. No such luck.

When you get a cold and you have cancer it's quite a bit more alarming. Normally, I wouldn't even go to the doctor and just ride it out. But now I know that my immune system is very compromised and that the chemo kills the good cells that fight infections. So, you get pretty concerned over what to others is a little bug, but for me could be a killer. Right to the oncologist it was.

He said that because of my situation he would treat it like a virus and give me antibiotics which I was happy about. I was told to rest and drink lots of fluids which I'm trying to do. I need to get myself strong for my next - and final!!!!! - treatment. Not to mention the UConn Football homecoming Saturday and Patriots Game at Foxboro Sunday!

Must. Get. Better.

No comments:

Post a Comment